New Orleans firefighters spent about an hour Tuesday morning battling a fire in a two-story double in the 100 block of Sharon Drive in Lakeview.

The blaze was first reported at 6:14 a.m. Firefighters were on the scene in five minutes and found heavy smoke pouring from the attic.

4 residents escaped injury.  An elderly resident of the building was taken to a hospital by EMS and a dog died in the fire.

Officials believe it began in a bedroom of the apartment on the second floor. 

Fire Department Superintendent Tim McConnell told FOX 8 the fire got into attic which made it "very difficult to fight."